Adventures 2013

This year has a European flavour with a stay in a Villa in Portugal, driving tour of Brittany, home exchange in a farmhouse in Gascony and of course a return to the farmhouse in Derbyshire.

Let the adventures begin and may they be full of life experiences!

Note scroll down for blog archive


About Me

Now we are retired we spend three months each year travelling. This blog records some of our adventures! · 2012 Hong Kong, Jordan, France, Cuba and England. · 2011: Copenhagen, Derbyshire and Bavaria ...wonderful! · 2010: New Zealand, South America, Denmark, UK and Africa! · 2009 Dubai, Italy, Portugal, England and of and of course a year in Gunnison, Colorado.

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Mauvais Beauvais!


I’m cold, wet and tired! We are standing in the middle of a deserted industrial estate, its 10.30 at night and it’s frighteningly quiet.  The only sound, the click of a rotating advertising sign. It’s like the bomb has gone off and everyone has disappeared.  “What can we do?  Where can we go?”

I shrug my shoulders, grab my bags and start walking towards some distant lights.  I hear my husband groaning behind me.  “What was he thinking?”  He mutters over and over again.  “Leaving us here in the middle of nowhere.”  The thought flashes through my head “More like what were we thinking, to get off the bus in the middle of nowhere?

The flashing, red light turns out to be the Mercure Hotel.  “Excusez-moi madame notre bus…” In my poor French, I stumble through the explanation that we are looking for our hotel, the Camponile.  She looks at me as if I am mad to be walking around in the rain with a heap of luggage in the middle of the night.  “Come to think of it, I agree with her!”

We sheepishly follow her directions, left at the parking lot and straight ahead.  When the pavement runs out and we are dragging our cases through knee length grass, it dawns on me that maybe I didn’t understand her as well as I thought I did, and that we are going the wrong way!

It is now over two hours since our RyanAir plane landed with a fanfare and loud cheers from the punters.  Faro heat, freshly Barbequed fish, cool wine and aquamarine beaches seem a long way away.

The Paris air strike had suddenly given us five extra days in Portugal.  Our Brittany trip disappeared before our eyes and the hotels we had so carefully chosen were now just a dubious expense on our insurance claim.

We had truly lucked out though, on our hotel bookings in Portugal, scoring a beautiful traditional hotel in Tavira.  We were welcomed warmly by the great granddaughter of the original owner who lead us through the luscious gardens to our private room…“Amor Perfeito”, and it was!

Our morning started with breakfast eating fresh fruits collected from the garden; figs, strawberries and peaches, followed by croissants, fresh breads and home made jams.  Ah! So full couldn’t eat another thing and then came eggs and prosciutto, cheeses and hams!

After all that we just had to walk.  As always in Portugal there is amazing street art, a castle and an abundance of characters sitting chatting animatedly… but about what?  We never know.  When the 30o heat finally gets to us, we stroll back for a swim by the pool and a lazy read before drifting off for an afternoon snooze.  Bliss!  

Typically the evenings take us on a stroll through the town to a local restaurant where a smiling waiter leads us over to an overflowing fish counter.  A fine selection of Sea Bass, Sardinhas, Mackerel and countless other fish tucked into layers of ice.  We point at what we want and the chef pounces on the fish and it’s off to the BBQ.

By the time we are seated couvert has arrived– fresh bread, olives, cheese and my favourite a sardine pate.  Oh the memory of it!

But here we are now cold, wet and lost in a Parisienne industrial estate.  It had seemed such a good idea when we had lost our hotel booking in central Paris, to book one near Beauvais (Ryanairs’) airport 80km outside of Paris.  We calculated that we could enjoy a French dinner and then head out for Paris early the next morning.

The airport hotel advertised a regular shuttle so we thought it was a great solution.  After an hour waiting for the shuttle in the rain and I’m thinking differently.

“Oh well, nothing for it but to put on a cheerful front and do what?”  I know I’ll flag down a car… French phrases flash through my brain “Au Secours!", maybe a bit strong, "Aidez-moi", a bit pathetic, but it will do.  I leap out into the road, problem is there is no traffic.  We wait and wait with tummy rumbles and increasing anxiety. Ah ha! A car to the rescue, but no, it slows and seeing a mad Australian waving her arms drives on. 

Eventually after several cars have passed, a car slows down cautiously and then stops.  It’s a young couple, in an old Citroen.  They listen anxiously to my story and then assure me the hotel is just behind us, only five minutes away and then they roar off leaving us once more to face the cold, wet, dark night.

We turn and with aching arms drag our bags through the long grass once more.  Flashing lights and a car horn, we turn startled to see the young couple waving to us.  “Venez! Venez! Venez Vite!

Oh the relief.  “Merci, Merci beaucoup, vous êtes très aimable.”

A ten minute drive brings us back to the exact spot where the bus driver had dropped us.  We had been walking with heavy bags for well over an hour.  My quip about it being cheaper than going to the gym did not go down well. 

But where to now?  A swift turn down a small unlit driveway leads us between two huge industrial buildings and to the hotel.  With much shaking of hands and air kissing we bid farewell to our rescuers.  Its midnight but our thoughts and senses are awash with images and smells of freshly cooked steak, red wine and warm baguette.

Our receptionist is suspicious and frosty.  A key is plucked briskly from the board and clicked in front of us.  My question “Avez-vous quelque chose à manger?” is treated with derision.  So, nothing to eat then.  With a brief nod in the direction of the Mercure hotel she tells there will be food there. 

Ahead of me is the hotel block.  For a minute I could be back in Australia.  The two storey hotel is seventies' style, complete with a veranda which streaks in front of the rooms.  I look back across the car park and the reception lights are now switched off.  We watch, as with the roar of the engine, the receptionist takes off.  Just us, hunger and fatigue then.

We haul our bags up to the second level. I’m so exhausted and hungry I don’t even peep into other people’s rooms as we trundle by.

Five minutes later we set off through the long grass once more towards the Mercure.  As we get closer we can see flashing lights of a steak restaurant and in the far distance, KFC and Macdonald’s.  I’m feeling cheerier by the minute. 

“Bonsoir”, I beam.  I can see from the expression that there is No bonsoir for us.  “Non, non, nous sommes fermés.  Non, il n'ya pas de restaurant ouvert ici".  Ha! So no restaurants open at 12.30 am.  What is the world coming to?  I find myself pleading, “Peut-être un petit morceau de pain”  …just a little bread perhaps.  “Mais non, je n'ai rien!”

So we walk back through the long grass.  My joke about the gym falls flat for a second time but this time is accompanied by a kind of strangled growl.  I fall silent.

Back at the hotel, I search through my cavernous handbag and find a few crumbled biscuits which we share miserably.  “Oh well tomorrow Paris” I say.

I’m awake, it’s still dark, or is it.  I realise Roger has put down the shutters to block out the bright streetlight that was glaring into our eyes.  I stumble to find the time.  8.45! Breakfast finishes at 9.00!  We are up and out and looking blearily at bread, croissant and coffee in minutes.  I pick up the shuttle timetable, but it doesn’t make sense.  I check with the receptionist.  “La prochaine navette est à cinq heures cet après-midi.”she says.  “You mean to say there isn’t another shuttle until five o’clock this afternoon?”  I’m close to tears, exhaustion is taking over.

She begins a long tortuous explanation that we can walk to the town and then get a shuttle to the airport.  How long a walk? …”Peut-être 30 minutes!”  A thirty minute walk with all our luggage.  My arms are already sore from yesterday’s debacle.  My question “What about a cab?” receives a Gallic shrug.  “Just book us a cab to the airport.” I say assertively.  

Our cab arrives, in minutes.  The driver cheerfully loads our luggage, picks up a Canadian couple from another hotel and within 15 minutes we are at the airport.  8 Euros, the same price as the wretched shuttle we caught yesterday!  “C’est la vie” I guess.

We hop straight onto the Navette and into Paris… but that is another story!

No comments: