Adventures 2013

This year has a European flavour with a stay in a Villa in Portugal, driving tour of Brittany, home exchange in a farmhouse in Gascony and of course a return to the farmhouse in Derbyshire.

Let the adventures begin and may they be full of life experiences!

Note scroll down for blog archive


About Me

Now we are retired we spend three months each year travelling. This blog records some of our adventures! · 2012 Hong Kong, Jordan, France, Cuba and England. · 2011: Copenhagen, Derbyshire and Bavaria ...wonderful! · 2010: New Zealand, South America, Denmark, UK and Africa! · 2009 Dubai, Italy, Portugal, England and of and of course a year in Gunnison, Colorado.

Saturday, June 8, 2013

It's not all Apples!


We’re off!  After all that has happened I can’t believe that we are really going.  For once we are organised or so I think.  I just have to back up my computer and set up new external hard drives to take with me.  I’ve bought a very swish time capsule for home. Caleb pops around to see if there is anything he can do to help out.  “Just fix up the hard drive for me” I say. 

Four hours later he’s still there, trying to set it up.  Meanwhile a wild storm has rushed through the garden undoing all of the hard work of yesterday!  Branches and leaves are strewn everywhere.  Too late to worry about it now!

Julie our lovely neighbour, is to pick us up at 2.00.  At 12.00 I’m anxious that Caleb is still trying to get the hard drive to work.  I’ll take it back I say.  In Mac 1, the guy is supercilious.  “Sorry, not our product you have to go back to Apple.”  “No” I say “By law I bought it from here and I have 7 days to bring it back.” 

“Its been opened” he says. 

“Well, how would I know it doesn’t work if I didn’t open it?” I say.

“Well all I can do is send it back to Apple.  It takes about ten days.  Then they’ll send it off for repair.  It can take up to three months.”

“That’s no good to me.” I say “I am leaving Australia in a couple of hours and I won’t be back for three months.”

“Sorry that’s it. Take it or leave it.”

“No” I say “That’s not it.  I’m entitled to a full refund.”  He turns his back on me.  I get my phone and loudly describe the situation to my lawyer (Roger).  “Yes” I repeat, “So I am entitled to a full refund.” 

I go back to the guy.  He has been listening.  “OK” he says “We’ll just check whether there is anything wrong with it.  “What’s your password?”  I put in the password… it doesn’t work.  His mouth curls in derision.  You can see ‘Stupid greyhair’ written all over his face.  I get back onto the phone this time to my “technician” (Caleb). “I set the password back to default.” says Caleb.  I tell the guy again.  He says “Look you don’t even know your password, so how would you know how to set this thing up.”

I am livid.  I need to get out of there.  I need to return this and go.

I call my lawyer again, he regurgitates all that he has learnt from “Checkout”.   “You are entitled to a full refund.” I repeat the advice loudly to the whole shop.  “So you suggest I call the police” I say.  “Ok, will do.’   So just to get this clear shop policy does not replace the law and I am entitled to a full refund.” 

I go over and tell the assistant “This is my advice and it’s what I’m going to do.”  He doesn’t need me to repeat, he along with the whole shop, has been listening.  People are starting to ask, “So if I have a problem you can’t help me, and I might be without my computer for 3 months.” 

The crowd is coming with me and the assistant feels the pressure.  “Ok” he says.  “I’ll give you a refund.”

“Yeah!” 
But then he adds, “But there’ll be a $30 restocking fee.” 
“Restocking fee!”  The whole shop bunkers down at my outrage.  “No way” I say ”I am entitled by law to a full refund.”

“I don’t care how many times you say that” he says,” You have to pay $30.”  I reach for my phone.  “OK, OK,” he says, “I’ll give you a full refund, but only because I want to get you out of my shop.”

“No” I say “You’re giving it to me because it is the law.”  He gives me the refund slip and growls, “and don’t come back!”

I can’t be bothered to deal with that one right now.

I’m off flying down the road.  A quick call to Julie “Can she pick us up an hour later?”  After all the weeks of beautiful weather, the rain is tumbling down and the wind howling. 

Home…….final quick pack of bags………drop Caleb off and I am standing in the rain waiting outside Balgowlah Boys for Julie and Roger to pick me up.

And then, we are in the Ibis’ world of silence, watching planes go silently by.  Dinner, wine, sleep and we are ready for our new adventure.

No comments: