Adventures 2013

This year has a European flavour with a stay in a Villa in Portugal, driving tour of Brittany, home exchange in a farmhouse in Gascony and of course a return to the farmhouse in Derbyshire.

Let the adventures begin and may they be full of life experiences!

Note scroll down for blog archive


About Me

Now we are retired we spend three months each year travelling. This blog records some of our adventures! · 2012 Hong Kong, Jordan, France, Cuba and England. · 2011: Copenhagen, Derbyshire and Bavaria ...wonderful! · 2010: New Zealand, South America, Denmark, UK and Africa! · 2009 Dubai, Italy, Portugal, England and of and of course a year in Gunnison, Colorado.

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Cat & Fiddle and the three shires walk

When I was a child... my family would spend weekends walking in Derbyshire. It meant packing lunch, catching a bus and the freedom of the moors.. bliss. My dad would always have an adventurous plan... my mum would not always be part this. For mum the choice of walk would be more languid ... Fox House and Longshaw. For dad always a bit more. The Cat & Fiddle was one of these more adventurous. In winter, treacherous... in summer HOT, hot, hot with cool clear water streams. So I have memories of the blizzard and the cool streams of summer.

So with my friend Maria, we set off from the Cat and Fiddle Inn which is the second highest inn in England and across the moors. Past peat bogs, rushing streams and the sheer expanse of the moors. The highlight for me was coming to the junction where the Staffordshire, Derbyshire and Yorkshire shires join at old packhorse bridges. And guess what...families still picnic nd children splash in the waters just as I did, Good stuff

So why is it called Axe Moor?...and come to think of it...why did I think I was safe to hitch hike all over these remote places? Ho! Hum!








Posted by Picasa

No comments: