Adventures 2013

This year has a European flavour with a stay in a Villa in Portugal, driving tour of Brittany, home exchange in a farmhouse in Gascony and of course a return to the farmhouse in Derbyshire.

Let the adventures begin and may they be full of life experiences!

Note scroll down for blog archive


About Me

Now we are retired we spend three months each year travelling. This blog records some of our adventures! · 2012 Hong Kong, Jordan, France, Cuba and England. · 2011: Copenhagen, Derbyshire and Bavaria ...wonderful! · 2010: New Zealand, South America, Denmark, UK and Africa! · 2009 Dubai, Italy, Portugal, England and of and of course a year in Gunnison, Colorado.

Friday, July 30, 2010

Visit to the Shaman’s house

The next day Freddie decides it would be a great idea to go and visit the shaman … it will make you feel really good he says. He does a smoking/healing session. I am a sceptic with these things but decide I’ll give it a go.

Off in the canoe as usual and up a steep muddy bank where we are met by two of the shaman’s children. The path takes us over rickety bridges and through muddy streams, as usual Freddie is able to spot birds and animals. He leaps into the rainforest assisted by his trusty young helper Leandro and after much rushing too and fro he emerges with a yellow bellied black snake. He can’t work out why we are not too impressed.

I have been pretty relaxed until this point… but after thisI might even need this healing session! We emerge into a clearing with a traditional wooden hut, chickens scurry around underneath thehut, a mangy dog scratches itself and we head up the steep stairs to the hut. I have aproblem getting the wretched wellington boots off, especially as I am trying not to coat myself and everyone else in mud.

We sit on a long bench, in the room next door a mother lounges in a hammock reading a book, a young child plays on the floor at her feet, a grandmother sits sleepily by the door.

A wheezing and jangling announces the arrival of the shaman. We are sat in the centre of the room on two chairs, I try not to giggle…. These sorts of things always bring out the worst in me. We close our eyes and the shaman proceeds to chant, blowing smoke over us and hitting us with fragrant leaves. We are encouraged to walk over to the window and to throw all of our pains and worries out of the window. Now I am feeling pretty relaxed and not in any pain at all but I throw my cares away anyway.

The session over we all laugh and joke and it is time to put the wretched gumboots back on. I struggle for a while and then decide to sit on the step.. but what I don’t realize is that is only a thin board and so I go toppling backwards into the room to the huge surprise and amusement of everyone. Even the shaman is crying with laughter. I am so shocked that I cannot get up for laughing. NOW I need a healing ceremony.

Finally I have the boots on and we are downstairs, time to learn how to blow darts, Roger turns out to be the absolute champion, Freddie and I are pretty hopeless…. And so ends our visit to the shaman!

No comments: