Adventures 2013

This year has a European flavour with a stay in a Villa in Portugal, driving tour of Brittany, home exchange in a farmhouse in Gascony and of course a return to the farmhouse in Derbyshire.

Let the adventures begin and may they be full of life experiences!

Note scroll down for blog archive


About Me

Now we are retired we spend three months each year travelling. This blog records some of our adventures! · 2012 Hong Kong, Jordan, France, Cuba and England. · 2011: Copenhagen, Derbyshire and Bavaria ...wonderful! · 2010: New Zealand, South America, Denmark, UK and Africa! · 2009 Dubai, Italy, Portugal, England and of and of course a year in Gunnison, Colorado.

Friday, April 9, 2010

Cusco

Cusco

What an amazing place……..huge grandiose cathedral, churches, covered walkways, T shirt shops, restaurants huddled around the typical “Spanish” square. The good news was that we had booked a room which had incredible views right across the city. Bad news was that it was at the top of a steep cobblestoned hill. Our shutters opened and a world of terracotta roof tiles was displayed below us.

The drama of Cusco for us was when Roger put his VISA card into the machine at a shop on the square. Not only did it not deliver any money but it also swallowed his card!

OMG! I (of course) had forgotten my pin as I had not used in a year. SO we were left with the prospect of no cash for the rest of our trip! Our American dollars were useless because they had a tear or ink marks on them. I know it is crazy but that is how it works in Peru!

So I say to Roger. Stay next to the machine in case the machine spits out the card. I’ll go to the bank. Easier to say than do…where is the bank? Several attempts later, I find the right one.

I wait in a queue…. For a long time!

I finally, finally get to the desk. “Hablo Inglesi?” “Si I speak English” says Lisa. I explain the problem. “No… nothing I can do.”she says.

Lisa starts to invite the next person forward. “No” I say “You can do something”. “No” she says “I cannot”. I say “Get the manager” She says “Not possible” I say “I am not leaving until you give me my card.” She looks worried and the security guard comes over. I explain (He speaks no English) that I am not leaving until I get the card. The crowd in the queue gets restless.

Suddenly she starts to telephone frantically. Who is she calling? Am I about to be arrested? She then says “I’m sorry there is nothing I can do… you will have to get a new card.” I explain that I am from Australia and I cannot get another card and without it have no money AND that I am NOT leaving this seat until I get the card.

I ask if she can get a security guard to go to the teller to get the card. Finally, finally she calls and confirms that that is what they will do.

Come in one hour and I will give the card back……..amazingly we do….. and there is the card. We are welcomed to the front of the queue as if we are royalty. “Which card would you like?” she asks as she spreads out a range of cards that the machine has captured that day!

What a relief!

Cusco is a truly amazing place of churches, steep roads that wind up the hillside and end in little squares with tiny restaurants, art galleries and music. A true blend of cultures, Inca buildings transformed by the Spanish and used extensively today.

Loved it!

Will add photos later when I have better internet connection (Probably S America!)

No comments: